Did you know that there are actually counselors out there that help people that are tripping on psychedelics through a potential psychedelic crisis?
Wanna know more? I’m on top of it…
Welcome to episode number seven where we’re going be talking about psychedelic crisis counseling.
But first, you may or may not have heard of Burning Man, a temporary metropolis in the Nevada desert that’s dedicated to community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance. But what’s it really like? Are the people there all on drugs? And if so, how does Burning Man ensure their guests stay safe? Well in this episode, you’ll learn about a harm reduction organization that partners with Burning Man called The Zendo Project.
Second, have you ever wondered about people that have taken psychedelics like mushrooms or LSD? What happens if someone is having a hard time with the experience and perceives it to be a psychedelic crisis… do they just have to ride it out? Or is there anything someone can do to help them? Well in this episode, you’ll learn about the four pillars of psychedelic crisis counseling and how anyone can use these pillars to talk someone through a difficult psychedelic experience.
My guest today is Seth Pearson (@SethPearson), who is a psychedelic crisis counselor for the Zendo Project. He has experience working several years at one of the wildest places on earth: Burning Man. Now, not only does he act as a psychedelic crisis counselor, but he’s also a self-love counselor and teaches people how they can practice self-love in their daily lives. As a bonus, in this episode, you’ll learn some tips to practice self-love in your daily lives so you can be your best self.
), who is a psychedelic crisis counselor for the Zendo Project. He has experience working several years at one of the wildest places on earth: Burning Man. Now, not only does he act as a psychedelic crisis counselor, but he’s also a self-love counselor and teaches people how they can practice self-love in their daily lives. As a bonus, in this episode, you’ll learn some tips to practice self-love in your daily lives so you can be your best self.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION:
If any listeners have experience with trip sitting, the Jon Top of It community would love to hear from you…
What was it like to tripsit someone? And did you learn anything through doing it?
JUMP TO A SECTION:
|What is a psychedelic?||2:18|
|What is a psychedelic crisis?||4:18|
|What is Burning Man? 1/2||6:28|
|How Shambhala music festival practices harm reduction.||9:39|
|What is Burning Man? 2/2||11:29|
|Burning Man: The burning of the man.||15:23|
|What is the Zendo Project?||18:48|
|Seth’s first experience with the Zendo Project.||19:14|
|How Seth’s perceived psychedelic crisis got him through his fear of death.||26:11|
|The Zendo Project mission, vision, and accomplishments.||29:11|
|What is it like being a psychedelic crisis counselor?||32:18|
|What is the “set” in set and setting?||35:05|
|What are the four pillars of psychedelic harm reduction?||35:33|
|How psychedelics can help someone process trauma.||37:29|
|What is the “setting” in set & setting?||39:46|
|Dealing with fearing how psychedelics could change you.||56:20|
|What’s most difficult about being a psychedelic crisis counselor?||1:02:52|
|What the most rewarding part about being a psychedelic crisis counselor?||1:05:57|
|How Seth became a self-love counselor.||1:08:05|
|How to practice self-love when you don’t feel like it.||1:13:29|
|Tips to start practicing self-love.||1:18:28|
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE:
- BOOK: How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence
- VIDEO: Michael Pollan: “How to Change Your Mind” | Talks at Google
- VIDEO: Shambhala Festival | Drug Testing for Safety
- Shambhala Festival
- Shambhala Drug Testing: ANKORS
- Why Alcohol Is the Most Harmful Drug
- VIDEO: 4 Minutes Inside the Madness at Burning Man 2018
- Burning Man
- VIDEO: Burning Man: TEMPLE OF GALAXIA
- Conscious Crew
- The ManKind Project
- Fear of death quote
- Study finds mushrooms are the safest recreational drug
- VIDEO: Joe Rogan’s DMT Experiences
- VIDEO: Russell Brand Wants to Know About DMT | Joe Rogan
- Zendo Project
- VIDEO: Zendo Project Psychedelic Harm Reduction: Burning Man 2016 Volunteer Training
- The Four Pillars of Zendo Psychedelic Support
- MAPS – Psychedelic Harm Reduction Resources
- 6 Steps for Helping a Friend Through a Bad Psychedelic Trip
- Seth’s podcast and counseling practice: Love Amped
- Mel Robbins: When Anxiety Sets In… Do This!
- VIDEO: YouTube Channel – Impact Theory